Minis Gallery
It is currently 11/19/17 12:55:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Badea's painting thread (renamed it)
PostPosted: 09/15/17 7:20:37 am 
Skeleton

sns_called_shot: Bloodbug
I've painted 20 or so miniatures at this point and while I do feel like I've got a tiny bit of talent and I'm happy on how most turned out, I feel like I can't make progress because I keep stumbling on technicalities. Unfortunatelly I don't know anyone else into this hobby so I thought I might ask here. Your insight would be much appreciated!

I got some cheap acrylics of various bands but also a beginner set of Army Painter and a GW bronze gold to cover the most basic colours.

My first problem : Is it normal for primer to chip away on plastic minis when scratched with a finger nail or should it fusion with the plastic? I have no idea what bonds well to (polyethylene ?) plastic that board game minis are made of. I let the minis soak in dishwasher soap mixed with water and then scrub 'em with a toothbrush before priming.

Second question : Is it normal to apply four layers of slightly watered "Leather brown" on a black primed surface just to build a solid base coat?

These have more to do with the primer because I'm thinking I should ditch this primer and go for another one.

Last edited by BadeaCR on 09/28/17 7:40:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Painting noob needs some insight
PostPosted: 09/15/17 3:23:00 pm 
Skeleton

Since every topic in the Painting section looks better with some photos, here are the minis I painted :

I picked something very simple for my very first mini : DCM Raven. I opted for subtle highlights for this one, probably way too subtle since I had no clue what I was doing. It's painted right on plastic without primer and I wonder if that white dot that I just noticed is actually the white plastic underneath or a drybrush accident.

The second one is a repaint of a Heroclix mini, right over the factory paint. I can't notice any peeling so cheap acrylics must be really tough mofos. Very poor details on this mini, like all Heroclixx. It's funny how I tried to do the highlights on the wings and clothes but I didn't think I should do them on the body.

This time I used a primer but a very cheap one. The miniature is still tacky after 2 years. Parker Board Game Bugbear

This spider didn't turn out exactly as I wanted because ... well, really dry brushing has its limits. I didn't know any better :roflmao:. Descent board game Spider

I just noticed these guys started chipping. I better find the right varnish soon. At this point I started incorporating actual highlights instead of back and forth drybrush strokes. I left the brocolli base black for a silly reason, I wanted pure black bases for my minis :roflmao:. Bones KS1 Zombies

Repurposed and rebased MK Deep Ones. For these guys I picked the Pathfinder sahuagin palette because I needed more sahuagins at that time, even though they're too scaly to be sahuagins.

More MK minis, Dwarven Berserker is the first one if I recall correctly and the other one Xandressan something ... Sorry for the loss of focus.

This is the last mini I painted a week ago. My hand was shaking so badly when I was painting inside the mouth, it felt like doing brain surgery :lol:. I wonder if the wood needs even more contrast and better highlights. Bones Mimic

As you might notice I don't paint very often, partially because I still haven't figured what to use for each type of plastic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/16/17 6:29:54 am 
Zombie

champion: Cloakers
BadeaCR:

I feel that you are doing yourself a huge injustice. I have no painting ability at all so can measure other's ability vs my baseline of zero. You're good!!! That Mimic is excellent.

The only advice I can add that I know to be true is 'you must use primer / undercoat of some sort'.
If you took part in any of the Reaper KSs go back and review some of the comments, they're always being asked questions about it. (May even be in the FAQs now).

I reiterate, I think your painting is good. Please post more pics when you have the time. Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/16/17 10:55:43 am 
Ghoul

1st problem: Sometimes yes. No matter if it is metal, PVC, ethelyne. It depends on the paint. Though with enamel on styrene it doesn't.

2nd question: If it works for you, it's normal. Though you don't always need to thin your paints except for washes. But the more blending you want to do, the more you should thin. If you feel un-thinned paint covers up too much detail, and 4 layers works for you, great!

Though you may just want to do a brown primer, or whatever color is the most prominent on the figure. Also a white or light grey primer can make colors stand out more with less layers. Even if I prime a mini black, if it has a red cloak, I will paint it grey first and then red.

Most minis are polyvinyl, PVC, and if you use an enamel based primer on them, you frequently get eternal stickiness. Technically for bones you don't need primer, but washing them to remove mold release before painting can reduce the chance of chipping. Though that goes for almost any mini that was cast in a mold.

Also as a suggestion, for bright whites and yellows, cheapness of paint shows. I don't buy Vallerjo paints except for those 2 colors. I buy GW whites only to mix with other colors.

Sometimes you don't need to highlight certain areas. Assuming you are painting for the tabletop and not for a paint contest submission. PPM's for me tend to be too dark for tabletop IMHO, so I frequently highlight the current colors or just paint a brighter and un-shaded color over it.

The primer I use are army painter for colors, and Tamiya extra fine for white. For sealers I use either Reaper's sealer, or Testors dullcoate. Though dullcoate is an enamel, so don't use it on minis that have not been completely painted with acrylics.

So in conclusion, enamel anything on PVC minis usually is bad. Paint quality affects mini quality. Do what works best for you.

Frankly though, this is a PPM site, so finding painters here is like finding fish in the desert. You may want to try Reaper's forums, they go into painting details even for PVC minis beyond even me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/16/17 8:30:34 pm 
Skeleton

[b]English Wizard [/b]Thank you for your kind words! I will try to post more stuff soon.

About using primer, as a newbie I read all sorts of missleading advice. For prepainted minis some folks suggested to just paint over if I'm doing touch-ups because the factory paint will act as a primer. That is not true because the factory paint is very glossy and acrylics, being water based, run over the surface and don't stick. With a billion coats it can be done but it's a frustrating experience. However there is some truth to the saying "paint over" in the case of DDM, simply because it's physically impossible to remove the factory paint. I tried acetone and multiple types of white spirits, the mini will turn rubbery and even lose some detail but in the recessed areas the paint won't go away before the mini is lost. Now I prime anything, except Bones. I will experiment more with unprimed Bones.

[b]Halber Kill [/b]Mega thanks for the detailed post! I reread it multiple times to make sure I'm not missing anything.

It took me a while to figure the role of the primer and I got multiple black cans because that was the general consensus for what a newbie should use, black is more forgiving if you miss a recessed area because it's naturally darker. Also, for D&D monsters that hardly ever wash it works. For the other humanoids it's a different story. I'm beginning to see the disadvantages of black. For example on that dwarf, it was hard to build the lighter colours so the paint layer got too thick because of my inexperience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/16/17 10:56:57 pm 
Mummy

Bones are kind of picky about primers. There are some brush on liners from Reaper that do wonders as a brush-on primer. I highly recommend those--though I'm partial to brown and blue, I also have grey, red (on the way), and green (on the way). The liners are great on Bones (and I use them on Imperial Assault minis as well).

Regarding the prepainted minis, there are many different types of paint out there and some will work better than others as a primer layer. And given that the sculpts for prepaints are often very nice (just covered with lousy, thick paint), you don't usually want to lose any more detail.

I know that the temptation is there to fill out your paint selections with craft paints, but I really recommend using good paints (and decent brushes) like Reaper, Vallejo, Scale 75, GW, Army Painter, etc. I used to use plenty of Apple Barrel/Folk Art. Note the past tense. :D I ain't going back. That's not to say that they aren't worth having, you just may have to work a little more (and thin the paint a little more) to get the type of results you want/expect.

And I feel bad (way too preachy) for saying all this, because your first twenty are (much) better than my first twenty! I really dig the mimic and your sahuagin!

I also recommend browsing (or even joining) the Reaper forum. There are lots of talented painters over there who post their work and share what they learn.

PostPosted: 09/22/17 4:16:46 pm 
Skeleton

This is the latest painting, a Mantic skeleton. I got a whole sprue but I don't think I'll assemble all of them since I got a ton of skeletons anyway. This was more of a test on how well the primer holds on polystyrene, and it holds very well! The painting itself isn't overly complicated, just base colours, wash and highlights but I was extra careful and I think this is the my best paintjob ever :D. Too bad the camera simply refuses to focus on the face :bang: I need to learn how to take these photos ... :cooky:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/28/17 7:29:50 am 
Skeleton

Pinky Narfanek
I read your post a while ago but I forgot to reply. Thanks for the great advice!

I noticed how Army Painter works amazingly well on Bones material so I don't have to prime anymore. I gave it my best effort but I was unable to scrape the paint off without using chemicals. As an added bonus I bought an automotive matt varnish to protect everything. I tested it on the Succubus below and while it does its job I think I overused it and it turned out not so matt :eee:

Regarding cheap acrylics : they suck. Multiple "how-to-get-started" recommended regular store acrylics as being ok so I bought 2 sets that I don't use them anymore. You simply can't thin them with water, I dip my brush in paint, then I dip it into water and no pigment is released in the water. This says a lot about what kind of paints they are. I have something on my "to-try" list, but I need to get an acrylic medium thinner first (it might be possible to turn them into decent paints but we'll see).

Now some minis, first it's a Bones Succubus from my early days of painting. Again it baffles me how I thought of doing the highlights on her wings but on her body I just applied some wash and called it finished. She's a bit glossy because I over-applied varnish but she got rid of the tackiness (from priming Bones :shifty:) and she seems a lot sturdier.

The second guy is my latest finished work, the Stone Golem from Bones KS1. He lacks in details a bit so I decided to try the "glowing eyes" effect for the first time. Please let me know how convincing it turned out :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/28/17 7:08:25 pm 
Mummy

BadeaCR wrote:
Pinky Narfanek
I read your post a while ago but I forgot to reply. Thanks for the great advice!

No worries. I'm glad to be of help.

Since you're working with bones, I should point out that the Bones material tends to repel water. So you don't want to apply any paints thinned with water as a first layer. The results can be a little unpredictable: ranging from nearly no effect to creating areas of extreme blotchiness. Once there's a layer down, though, you should be good.

That's a fine looking stone golem you got there!