Minis Gallery
It is currently 11/19/17 12:50:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: How do you mark elevation?
PostPosted: 08/31/17 2:35:05 am 
Skeleton

champion: princess
I DM'd a large set piece battle two days ago, where the battlemap had three levels, plus in-between positions, with PC's entering through the lowest level, and monsters and traps occupying that one plus the second and third levels, plus a hanging chain, ramps, important stuff on the walls etc. I love that stuff, I make battles interesting by complicated terrain, because I love "vanilla" monsters. I have no problem running battles with complicated terrain.

But then I noticed, as I have before, that marking monster elevation is hard. My battlemap is after all two-dimensional. And sometimes two minis can be quite near one another, even though they are on different elevation levels. That makes intuitive grasping of the battle situation harder (one of the reasons I use minis in the first place!).

I have used all kinds of objects to place minis onto, but they are often distracting. I have used counters, but they are not intuitive, and there's a need to use counters to mark all kinds of stuff (conditions, abilities, number of monster...). I wonder if the best thing would be either transparent plastic cubes that can be stacked on one another, or some kinds of poles on bases that end on another base or tray, where to place minis, or another pole... or you could go to the deep end and become a styrofoam terrain architect, but I don't think I have the time or inclination for it, and it would only suit pre-planned encounters, not something that comes up on the fly.

Has anyone else encountered this problem... or maybe solved it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How do you mark elevation?
PostPosted: 08/31/17 1:15:10 pm 
Deathknight

champion: PPM Pack Mule
The few times this has been an issue I have just used poker chips. Most of the time it is not a major issue though.

Side Note: To show flight I use the old Chessex dice boxes. Again, the few times we have had an aerial battle, I used the boxes and poker ships. it worked.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 08/31/17 1:45:28 pm 
Skeleton

Yeah, Daniel, I agree that it's not a major issue, just a minor thing that irks me a bit, because I haven't found a solution yet. Sometimes dice are sold in transparent boxes - are those dice boxes that you mentioned transparent? That might be a solution. Then you could have combatants directly under the flier, by putting them inside the box! Chips and markers are good, too, with the only downside that I also use them for other purposes, so I should find chips that are unmistakable.

I have flying battles every now and then, but battles that include some flyers, or just elevation differences, come up all the time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 08/31/17 4:06:32 pm 
Ghoul

I have been using the attack wing bases for ground units that can fly.

Though if you are talking about various elevations, I use wooden blocks to denote higher terrain.

Halber

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 08/31/17 8:41:10 pm 
Revenant

Here is an idea.

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4477&p=77983&hilit=flight+stand#p77983

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/01/17 1:47:55 am 
Revenant

Here is another idea

http://paizo.com/products/btpy9u75?Combat-Tiers-Base-Set

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/01/17 1:51:26 am 
Revenant

And my last idea

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Acrylic-3-Inch-4-Inch-5-Inch/dp/B00GAGEARM/ref=lp_16221708011_1_1?srs=16221708011&ie=UTF8&qid=1504245039&sr=8-1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/04/17 4:32:20 pm 
Skeleton

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now, that "Combat Tier" set from Paizo really caught my eye. I think I'll want that one!

Profile E-mail