Minis Gallery
It is currently 04/26/18 5:24:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dwarven Forge KS6 Return to the Caverns
PostPosted: 01/14/18 12:41:05 am 
Revenant

If anybody here loves cavern terrain and missed DF's first cavern KS KS2, this spring/summer around June DF will have KS6. The theme of KS6 will be Return to the Caverns and should be great fun for those who took part in KS2 or those who are new to DF.

DF had this to say

We're doing for Caverns what Dungeon of Doom did for Dungeons. A whole new batch of fun pieces to enhance your existing collection, but also completely stand-alone.

Some of the key features:
New Core Shapes (diagonal wall, convex curves, 1" pieces, etc)
Passages
Elevation (with stuff that's impossible on graph paper...)
Negative Space pieces (and new Terrain Trays)
Flashy Pieces (Magnets & LEDs)
Large pieces (4x4 and larger)

If you interested in seeing some teaser pics here is a link

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8945

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dwarven Forge KS6 Return to the Caverns
PostPosted: 01/21/18 1:55:46 am 
Revenant

champion: Huge Aboleth
Oh, I'll be on board for this one! The Cavern pieces get almost as much use as my Dungeon pieces!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/21/18 2:49:50 am 
Revenant

arbados wrote:
Oh, I'll be on board for this one! The Cavern pieces get almost as much use as my Dungeon pieces!

Good to hear you are going to be a part of KS6.

I am really excited for more caverns, I really like my KS2 caverns but with caverns I feel more shapes/sculpts will make them more natural and even better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 03/04/18 12:47:50 am 
Revenant

Yes, there is definitely a need for more cavern pieces. I think the #1 need would be alternate wall pieces. I understand and respect that many want various details such as water pools, fungus, etc., but for me it's simply different shaped walls to add diversity. Different flat floor pieces would be nice as well. The current various floor pieces are nice, but if you want variety with your floors you have to put down pieces with stalagmites and various other elevated areas that may not be what you want. Simple pieces that are flat with variety would be nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 03/04/18 5:12:12 pm 
Morhg

arbados wrote:
Yes, there is definitely a need for more cavern pieces. I think the #1 need would be alternate wall pieces. I understand and respect that many want various details such as water pools, fungus, etc., but for me it's simply different shaped walls to add diversity. Different flat floor pieces would be nice as well. The current various floor pieces are nice, but if you want variety with your floors you have to put down pieces with stalagmites and various other elevated areas that may not be what you want. Simple pieces that are flat with variety would be nice.

Agreed! The problem with the current DF caves is it doesn't quite look natural because of repeating pieces and lack of slight elevation. I think doing some 4x4 pieces would allow for interesting formations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 03/22/18 6:58:52 pm 
Revenant

Here are two cavern sculpts that were shown in late February.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 03/22/18 7:16:25 pm 
Revenant

Here are some cavern pics from the middle of March.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/05/18 12:38:45 am 
Revenant

Here are some pics of a build showing how the new pieces can make caverns in more natural shapes.

These are still pretty basic pieces, once the KS begins the more wild stuff will be shown, but I will be very happy to get these pieces to make my caverns even more natural and weird shapes.

Here is a color chart made by a fellow DF fan that helps show the different pieces

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/08/18 3:23:42 am 
Revenant

I'm interested to see the new pieces. It's important to get walls that can allow a greater variety in the builds we currently can accomplish. At some point I need to stop buying in bulk and just consider the needed pieces. I think I may be at that point very soon. Terrain is even more important in regards to a need to be different than minis and I've already stopped buying mini cases. I'm at the point in being pretty selective with y terrain purchases as well.

I buy terrain that will suit the majority of my usual needs. Strange, exceptional pieces may be nice, but they don't serve my usual need so will be passed on. Give me variety on basic terrain and I'm happy and will be on board!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/08/18 4:59:18 am 
Revenant

During the DF's KS5 I tried to get Dungeon items that allowed me to do things that I could not do with my KS1 tiles and really wanted to and some of the new style dungeons, so I could have dungeon rooms with a different style. For me that meant not going for a full DoD (which I really could not afford any way) and get a more targeted selection. One thing I really liked but had to leave out were the burrows, Since I began using terrain I have liked the idea of having both hard stone caverns and soft earth tunnels, but I went in to KS5 to get the above-mentioned dungeon items, so Burrows will have to wait.

Since caverns are my favorite adventuring environment I am not sure if I will be compelled to get the full Cavern of Doom or not, but it will be fun to see what surprises DF has in store once KS6 begins. If they hit the nail on the head as I expect them to I will be getting a lot of new cavern stuff from KS6, if by some miracle they go a direction I do not want then I will get these basic bread and butter pieces to get out of and back into the 2x2 grid and get burrows from the store.

Either way I am excited to enjoy the fun of another DF KS. Even during KS4 I had loads of fun and I really did not get much castle stuff, the mountains pieces on the other hand have been great fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/15/18 3:28:00 am 
Revenant

I'm always excited to see another DF Kickstarter. It's always fun to see what they present as add-ons and such as stretch goals. They make it so tough to save money and not go crazy as each add-on is usually a must! A lot of fun and I can't wait especially knowing that this, along with the dungeons are terrain I use all the time. I did not join any of the castles KS'ers. Just not interested in that stuff as battles for me involve dungeons and caverns 90% of the time and when not I can do just fine without needing 3D terrain to set-up a city or especially a castle.

Profile E-mail