Minis Gallery
It is currently 04/26/18 5:39:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Safari Ltd Leviathan
PostPosted: 01/11/18 5:49:59 pm 
Deathknight

champion: Marrashi - Vodyanoi
Kubla Kraus wrote:
Thank you for the kind words, fellas! Arbados, if you're torn between the Behemoth and the Jungle Dragon and have to choose one... I'd go with the Behemoth. It stands out amongst its peers while also allowing for a bit more utility in how you use it. I would make for a great stand-alone encounter as a big bad boss but I've actually used it as part of an orc army, serving as the infantry ride-on and simply as a massive killing machine.
Plus it's about $5 cheaper ;)

Speaking of cost, you asked how much I spent on the Jungle Dragon... $18.99 through Amazon. As a Prime member the shipping is free but of course there's the annual membership fee (I use Amazon for a LOT of things so for me it's well worth it). Even if you don't have Prime you can still qualify for free shipping if you spend a total of $35 or something like that, all the more reason to add on the Behemoth to your order :D

I just checked now and it's only gone up $1, it's now $19.99. All things considered I think that's a good price.

This just in, I found an even better deal for you:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2729473939
Safari themselves are selling it through eBay for $18.04 with FREE shipping. Damn, now I'm jealous, lol :)

Oh yeah, Safari has the best prices of course... but sadly they only ship within the USA.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:35:48 pm 
Skeleton

BB Shockwave wrote:
Oh yeah, Safari has the best prices of course... but sadly they only ship within the USA.

I have to admit, I give you Euro guys a lot of credit. Seeing the high costs you pay on international shipping and custom fees has given me a newfound respect for your dedication to this hobby. It also (and I don't say this to be mean, offensive, or anything like that) makes me appreciate just how well we Americans have it, at least when it comes to miniature collecting shipping costs, lol :D

But I digress, thanks for the heads up on the OP. I was just notified that the Safari Leviathan was delivered to my doorstep. I'll see if I can get some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:50:35 pm 
Deathknight

Cool, looking forward to seeing it in-hand!

And thanks, indeed it is harder to collect stuff with the spectre of the customs hanging over our heads like a dreadful wraith (I have waited ages to use this allusion!) Many americans feel the way you do - I am really thankful to a California-based friend of mine whom I met on a transformers forum once, and who to this day, helps me out by shipping me toys periodically - like with Eaglemoss' Star Trek ship collection that only people in the USA or UK can preorder.

Btw, I linked that "dracolich" earlier - maybe this interests some people, a local toy store sells what seem to be much smaller (D&D minis Large size) knockoff versions of them that are assembled from smaller pieces. They are super cheap, about 2$. I really need to pick one up next time I visit Galaxy to see what the quality is like.
https://www.galaxyjatekaruhaz.hu/dinosz ... bfele.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/13/18 1:11:47 pm 
Skeleton

Took a few pics of the newly acquired Leviathan by Safari:

I have 4 inch bases around somewhere but my perception checks have thus far come up short. In the meantime I figured these would be sufficient just to give you a sense of scale. Clearly the Leviathan takes up 4 squares easily which would make him gargantuan in game terms. In terms of actual size I would say he's in scale with most of Wizkids' Pathfinder and D&D gargantuan offerings. I wish I had one handy to do a side-by-side but unfortunately they're all in storage as I renovate my basement.

All in all this is another excellent "miniature" from Safari. I think it's great that they produce a line of mythical creatures that appeals to kids and big kids like us :D
Plus, for just over $20 they're about half the price of what Wizkids is charging for their gargantuan figures and these are made from a much sturdier material. So for those with kids of your own you're in good hands.

Now I just need to reroute my campaign to an aquatic setting...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/13/18 5:37:00 pm 
Deathknight

Nice, it is pretty tall, bigger then I expected! I like the metallic tinge to the scales.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/13/18 6:00:37 pm 
Skeleton

Kubla Kraus wrote:
Took a few pics of the newly acquired Leviathan by Safari:

Wow, that thing is massive.

The first thing that came to mind for using it in a game would be a Myrmyxicuses demon (from 3rd ed's Fiend Folio), though those are supposed to be Huge (but could be advanced to Gargantuan).

Not a perfect match, but it's close enough for the table.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/16/18 3:01:35 pm 
Citizen

BB Shockwave wrote:
Btw, I linked that "dracolich" earlier - maybe this interests some people, a local toy store sells what seem to be much smaller (D&D minis Large size) knockoff versions of them that are assembled from smaller pieces. They are super cheap, about 2$. I really need to pick one up next time I visit Galaxy to see what the quality is like.
https://www.galaxyjatekaruhaz.hu/dinosz ... bfele.html

Those are so cool! Hope you can get some in hand to show us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/17/18 6:08:46 pm 
Skeleton

Kubla Kraus wrote:

Safari - Behemoth

I opted to go with Gargantuan for the Behemoth. Here he is on the 100 mm base I got from Reaper, compared with other Gargantuan and Huge minis I've got.

He is a bit small compared to the scale of the old D&D mini gargantuans.

But he's right on the mark compared to the more recent WizKid Gargantuan mini's, IMO.

From the front he looks similar in size to the Bluespawn Godslayer and the Treachery Demon (PF Glabrezu).

From the side he starts to look bigger.

From the top he definitely looks a size category larger than these Huges.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/17/18 8:50:15 pm 
Skeleton

Nice pics! :ayyy:

When it came time to base the Behemoth I was faced with the choice of Huge vs Gargantuan as well. Ultimately I settled on huge [based on my own personal preference] but it honestly could have gone either way.

One thing the pictures can't display is the sheer mass of this figure. It's got some serious heft! Never mind the in-game damage, the figure itself could inflict a critical hit! Wield wisely, friends, and don't piss off your DM ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/18/18 3:09:50 am 
Skeleton

champion: Gnoll Necromancer
Has anyone gotten or seen this Papo Wooly Mammoth?

I want to get some mammoths that will fit on the 3 inch base.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/18/18 3:03:26 pm 
Deathknight

I don't think I have seen it yet in stores. Sadly most animal minis by Papo or Schleich are too large to work for D&D minis, and they aren't detailed enough to work as giant animals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/18/18 6:33:35 pm 
Skeleton

I haven't seen it in person either but I did find a product description that reads as follows: "Stands approximately 5.5 inches tall. Measures approximately 8 inches in length." The length alone suggests it's most likely [way] too big to be used as a huge miniature. Sorry dude. Still, I hope that helps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/20/18 2:01:15 am 
Skeleton

champion: Gnoll Necromancer
The leviathan and behemoth are cool. I picked up both.

I just ordered a bunch of the "toy" animals to base up and use for D&D.

Collecta Anaconda - going to try a Huge base

Safarii Mammoth - going to try a Huge base

Schleich Octopus - Going to try a Large base

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/20/18 5:51:58 am 
Deathknight

Oh yeah, I have seen the octopus in stores many times, it is really detailed and would work well as a giant octopus mini.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/20/18 6:55:25 pm 
Skeleton

Nice! I've had that Octopus in my watchlist for quite a while, I actually forgot it was even there until you posted a picture of it. I'd love to see what it looks like once you base it.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next