Minis Gallery
It is currently 12/17/17 9:25:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wizkids announces Unpainted Miniature line coming Fall 2016
PostPosted: 12/04/17 3:13:10 pm 
Citizen

Thanks for the links! Nice to see them making some in clear plastic, it opens up more options when it gets to painting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:22:19 pm 
Mummy

champion: Marrashi - Vodyanoi
Yeah, I am definitely getting the elementals, easy to paint a translucent figure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/04/17 9:04:15 pm 
Ghast

champion: Dorsain
BB Shockwave wrote:
Yeah, I am definitely getting the elementals, easy to paint a translucent figure.

Have you painted one before? Because its not...

Damn it I want my Death Tyrant Beholder mini!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/05/17 1:55:09 am 
Mummy

I have paint that is used for translucent plastic, though have not used it yet - my understanding is that you just apply it and that's that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/05/17 9:52:32 pm 
Lurker

I recommend Tamiya clear paints, they really are quite easy. They're more like a lacquer, so they adhere to clear plastics better than a traditional acrylic miniature paint/ink/wash. There's red, orange, yellow, green, blue, smoke (black/gray), and plain clear that you can use to thin down the other colors without affecting adhesion. The only bummer is that there's no purple, and red + blue Tamiya clear do not mix to make purple.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/05/17 10:56:57 pm 
Skeleton

breegull wrote:
I recommend Tamiya clear paints, they really are quite easy. They're more like a lacquer, so they adhere to clear plastics better than a traditional acrylic miniature paint/ink/wash. There's red, orange, yellow, green, blue, smoke (black/gray), and plain clear that you can use to thin down the other colors without affecting adhesion. The only bummer is that there's no purple, and red + blue Tamiya clear do not mix to make purple.

Just curious, but what happens if you paint a clear colored plastic miniature with one of those paints? Like for example, one of the red or blue clear miniatures from the Reaper Bones sets? Will the paint appear as a different color after being applied?

I will buy your unwanted D&D WotC minis collection. Email me your asking price!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/06/17 2:43:35 pm 
Lurker

Oryan77 wrote:
Just curious, but what happens if you paint a clear colored plastic miniature with one of those paints? Like for example, one of the red or blue clear miniatures from the Reaper Bones sets? Will the paint appear as a different color after being applied?

Someone posted a pretty thorough set of experiments on Reaper's forums:
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/ ... ya-clears/

Red and blue bones are both kind of dark, so they look best with just TC red/blue respectively, plus maybe smoke if you want to darken.
Purple bones work best with TC smoke.
The greenish-yellow ectoplasm-colored bones can be made a darker green with TC green, and surprisingly can be turned fully blue with TC blue.
Plain clear bones can of course take any color.
All colors of bones can be coated with the plain clear to enhance their translucency without changing the color.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/06/17 4:14:33 pm 
Skeleton

breegull wrote:

Wow. That's a great thread. I really like the clear on the blue water creatures. It really makes them look more like a liquid. Thanks for sharing that.

I will buy your unwanted D&D WotC minis collection. Email me your asking price!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/06/17 10:46:55 pm 
Denizen

Oryan77 wrote:
breegull wrote:

Wow. That's a great thread. I really like the clear on the blue water creatures. It really makes them look more like a liquid. Thanks for sharing that.

A great thread, indeed. I own several of these miniatures which I never got around to painting. I always assumed inks would be the way to go but now I've seen these TC paints in action I may have to pick some up and experiment.

Plus the Wizkids unpainted line is featuring more and more opaque figures with translucent parts (for spell fx and whatnot) so it'd be nice to have more options in which to paint them. Great find, thanks for the info.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/07/17 12:43:28 pm 
Ghast

BB Shockwave wrote:
I have paint that is used for translucent plastic, though have not used it yet - my understanding is that you just apply it and that's that.

Vallejo Tranlucents?...Sorry I find it hard to remember who here paints and who doesnt...but what I have discovered about Valljeo Translucents (I have not tried another brand) Is it will still dry foggy if you dont properly thin them and you shouldnt used water to do so. Adding glaze medium helps keep that clear appearance. Also you can use varnish as a primer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/09/17 5:27:19 pm 
Mummy

I actually bought something at a "decorator" store once that I used to turn the translucent blue windshield of a transformer into greenish-yellow. It's not perfect but worked fine.

Wizkids updated their unpainted page, they have pics of all the available minis now: https://wizkids.com/upm/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/11/17 10:31:54 pm 
Mummy

A place called Goodgames has previews of many of the next wave of unpainted minis - including the upcoming Slaadi who will also be in MM3. :)

Female and male Aasimar Paladins
Image Image

Female Dragonborn Paladins and male Dragonborn Fighters (huh, so female Dragonborn no longer have breasts?)
ImageImage

Fire Genasi female Wizards - man that Wizard's Eye spell looks amazing!

Githzerai Monks - one is a variant pose of the SKT mini, the other has different clothings and glowing quivering palm effects.

Grey and Black Slaadi - it seems they went back to the more froglike Black Slaad, still, the designs are really nice and dynamic. The Grey Slaad has quite the Wolverine claws, and also it seems they still have the membrane under their arms.

Owlbear - the Elemental Evil design, in a new screeching pose.

Rust Monster - comes with a separate pile of rusty swords and weapons!

Thri-kreens - these are pretty awesome, same model as in SKT, one comes with a gythka and two chathkas, while the other is holding a bow and an axe.

Tiefling female and male Rogues - nice molds all 4 of them.
ImageImage

Water Genasi male Druid - nice poses, and one of them comes with a large water wave behind the mini!

Xorns - Rage of Demons mini, in some nice new poses - one is leaning to the side to attack with a bite, the other is just erupting from the ground!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/12/17 2:40:18 am 
Lurker

Great find! Man, I am so excited for this next wave. Love all the the monsters, and will happily buy multiples

So happy to see WizKids keep improving their offerings. The new genasi spell effects make these so much better than the boring air and earth models. I'll probably buy couple sets just for the translucent parts. (Could paint up the fire genasi as female githyanki, since they have the hair for it.)

I'm surprised that there are so many different dragonborn sculpts (5 pairs by my count), all armored and armed kinda similarly.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the medium minis they've only shown a single sculpt of? I hope that's not all there is.
The elementals and the rust monster would be the first minis that only include 1 medium mini in a pack (expensive!), or that have 2 of the same sculpt (boring!).

I'd say maybe they're counting the rust monster's swords as the 2nd mini, but the wolf spiders included a base decoration just like the rust monster, and there were 3 of them in a pack, each with a slightly different sculpt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/12/17 12:00:17 pm 
Denizen

breegull wrote:
Does anyone know what the deal is with the medium minis they've only shown a single sculpt of? I hope that's not all there is. The elementals and the rust monster would be the first minis that only include 1 medium mini in a pack (expensive!), or that have 2 of the same sculpt (boring!).

I was wondering the same thing. I went back a page and looked again at the link BB posted and noticed this:

"Each set is MSRP $4.99, and includes two versions of an adventurer, a pair of identical monsters, or a single mounted figure."

I'm hoping that's in reference to the elementals because, like you said, $4.99 for just one is expensive. I recently picked up a handful of earth elementals from Shattered Star and they were slightly over $2 a piece, still less than what they're charging for an unpainted model that looks very similar (and that's for a pre-paint). So yeah, I hope we're getting at least two for that price.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/12/17 12:26:02 pm 
Ghast

Dragonborn with a maul....perfect....Guess I wont have to mod one...just have to wait longer...Was hoping for a mage type dragonborn but oh well.
this release seems smaller than the previous ones. Is this the entire wave?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next